The Rescuer and The Drifter





Jeffery McNeil
Image result for a bum   Image result for alexandria ocasio-cortez

When growing up in New Jersey, I learned the limits of help and charity. I learned that some motivations of rescuers were not based on the well being of others but something more dastardly power and control. Some used charity as a ploy to keep their wounded victims in captivity. I learned to be skeptical of intentions disguised as guidance because more often than not they end up with dreadful consequences.


My skepticism of rescuers began when I had a childhood crush . She was fond of animals that were abandoned and cast astray . Because of my lustful desires I followed her in search of stray dogs,cats and other creatures that were cast off by society. At first it was exhilarating. We were making a difference, rescuing  animals that were cast aside and forgotten.


We debated endlessly on the role humans have on nature. Although I didn't have the same passion for  animals, I knew this made her happy so I didn't oppose anything she did.  As she endlessly prattled about the plight of wildlife, I took her words literally as if her words came from a greek goddess.


What I didn't know was that she was espousing a distorted worldview called liberalism. However,  I decided to make a trade off. I would hide my skepticism for furry animals for the company of a woman. But, I was jealous because these animals competed with me for her affection. I dreamed of ways to remove these animals from the picture.   


Realizing she’d never stopped loving animals. I tried a new tactic, manipulation. I tried to warn her that skunks will always be skunks and nothing could change that.  However her heart bleed for these animals.  She always defended, denied and excused any behavior which depicted animals as offenders instead of victims.  


I couldn't mask my contempt any longer. I felt trapped , I had a conservative view on wildlife , but felt ashamed.  I was taught to respect and love others but these animals were nasty they pooped, peed and smelled . My exposure to these animals didn't give me an appreciation for wildlife but made me realistic about the world we live in.


Through the years I continued to follow her searching for every broken wing, stray dog and wet cat. We even cried when a robin we tried to save died .


I was losing her to wildlife, however, my chance came to win her over. We caught a Canadian goose. This bird was mean and ornery.  I thought the bird would  test her resolve and become discouraged. However the reverse happened she became infatuated and continued nurturing.
One day tragedy struck, when comforting this goose she was viciously attacked. She ended up in the emergency room with a gash, a bloody nose and black eye.


After that incident we drifted apart . We reunited years later  but I realized she didn't change.  She just shifted her passion of rescuing wounded animals to saving wounded men. Although her brilliance could have landed anyone, she suffered from low self esteem. Her ego wouldn't allow her to pursue a male that was work driven and ambitious. Instead she was in search of broken wings that lacked motivation and drive. I began to realize the reason why she rescued wounded souls . Her rescuing wasn't based on moral certitude but used charity as way to control and have empowerment over men she felt were weaker.She realized if she kept nurturing they would remain in captivity and never be able to leave her. Her need to improve others was a hidden form of gender role reversal which allowed her to have dominance .


I warned her about the dangers of enabling the drifter but she insisted these people needed a voice.  She eventually lowered her standards and became entangled.  Instead of encouraging these men to take responsibility and find work, she became pregnant and the men dipped off. It was disheartening to see what she try to avoid she became feminine and submissive.


In her quest to save wounded ducks ,she lost her potential too. She refused to believe that drifters were drifters for a reason. While it true that some seeds can be rescued but  most seeds are just rotten and when allowed to mix they destroy the whole crop. Today, she has five kids ,receiving government assistance and is facing prison time for a drug raid in her home.


I would like to say she was the exception but I saw this movie too many times.


When people ask me how to help the poor. I ask them do they know the difference between a wounded duck and a wounded rat. If you don't know the consequences of helping either just walk away and help neither. You and society will be better off .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If Congress Can't Provide Checks For Us, Stop Giving Them Checks This November

Is A Beijing Biden Presidency A Lock Or, Is President Trump Taking The Media For a Ride?

Liberal White Guilt Not Racism Has Done More Harm Than White Supremacy