Inspiration from Writing

Writing James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

One of my favorite books to read is the New Testament of the Bible. I do not read the bible because I am religious. I read it because the words that were said thousands of years ago still ring true today. You can open up any part of the bible and pinpoint that what is happening in your life today, someone thousands of years ago went through the same experience.
Great men and women of the bible were not great people, David killed Uriah because of his lust for Bathsheba, Peter denied Jesus three times and still founded the Christian Church and Paul persecuted Christians before he was called on by god.

The one story I identify with the most is the story of Nebuchadnezzar from the book of Daniel. He was a mighty king who demanded worship and looked down on others. Until god got his attention and threw him out into the wilderness for seven years where he gained his sanity and worshiped god.

I write this because I feel similarities when I read stories about the men and women and the challenges they faced in biblical times. Which has shaped my views regarding society as a whole.

I witnessed up close the effect of poverty and homelessness.For some who escape these conditions,may find love and appreciation for life.Others may become bitter and resentful blaming society for their circumstances or just giving up all together. Hopelessly waiting for a white knight to come to the rescue before getting swept out to sea. it is easy to lose you mind and go insane or die if your psyche and inner being is fragile.

What I write is not based on Academic research, government statistics or organizations spinning their cause. I write based on what I witnessed on life on the streets. Before being homeless. I was a chef and managed a few prominent restaurants making decent living, with a place to sleep and friends. As I spiraled into depression I became isolated and alone eventually winding up sleeping in the tunnels, using drugs to relieve my depression, condemn by many as a loser. I never had any ambition to write or had any curiosity why things are the way they are.

I believed I am in my predicament because I was stupid and made bad mistakes so I should be punished. My background wasn't exactly exemplary, it was littered with firings and failures. All though I was homeless I was arrogant and proud. ,I didn't want to be labeled homeless, resented the fact that I was sleeping in a shelter, whittling my days for a cold meal or a blanket. Asking why God put me in a predicament like this. I felt cursed and thought suicide would be a good option.

What seemed to be the 9th inning of a pathetic game called life. Began my journey into wanting learn and gain insight into why things are the way they are. Through blunders and mishaps and luck, eventually lead me to writing about my experiences and getting published in Street Sense and other magazine publications to starting my blog called the Daily Street Sheets. I wasn't a born writer or a speaker, necessity and survival brought me to writing.

I only began to write because I got thrown out of Franklin Shelter because of fighting. I didn't care at the time because it was 100 degrees outside,it was early in the morning which was just in time for Miriam's Kitchen to open for breakfast. While waiting in line I talked to several social workers who gave me advice on where to get clothing or shelter. I noticed some books on their shelf.I saw a Bible picked it up and read a few pages. A lady told me they had writing and art classes. Since I had nothing to do,I decided to sit in and listen. I didn't think much of the class but it gave me an idea.

I went to the library on 24th and L st and started reading the Bible. I saw a dictionary and I started jotting down words I didn't understand. Because I had nothing else to do I read. I read everything from Roman History, to Hemingway, and Thoreau, but my favorite books were history and biographies, I gained inspiration from Quincy Jones book, but my favorite books are When Pride Mattered, by David McCullough, which is the story of Vince Lombardi. also I am reading his book Truman which is a must read for lovers of history. Since I had no where to go I would find light and read outside near light. One someone gave me a few dollars and bought me a notebook with a pen inside. So I drew and wrote to kill time. I would sit in the park and observe,

I would wonder, write questions, ask why are there so many homeless in Washington D.C.? I would count everyday how many were minorities, how many were women?how many were crazy?how many were high.? Time was my best friend, I would go to the libraries and read newspapers like the Wall Street Journal, New York Times and every newspaper I could find. I then discovered the Archives Building, Library of Congress, Barnes and Noble and Borders. I was hook on reading and knowing everything I could know.

Reading and writing consumed me for almost two months in Washington. I still had no job, was in a deep depression and homeless. When fate and writing collided with me, I just got paid from a job I got fired from because I was drunk. I got robbed, and had nothing that's when I saw someone wearing a Street Sense vest and told me about them. I went to their office sold some papers and they said you could publish articles.

I wrote my first article Aug 2007, and haven't looked back since. I then started selling around places where writers and journalist appeared. This wasn't my strategy, I didn't want to sell papers because people felt sorry for me. I wanted to sell papers because they respected my work. I view writing as an art and want to be rewarded for good work. I rather win an award for great literature and get paid nothing than get paid handsomely for what I regard as rubbish. As I continue to write I learn more about society and life and I do not know what paths they are leading me. But so far it has been an adventure. you can check my blogs on broomble@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If Congress Can't Provide Checks For Us, Stop Giving Them Checks This November

Is A Beijing Biden Presidency A Lock Or, Is President Trump Taking The Media For a Ride?

Liberal White Guilt Not Racism Has Done More Harm Than White Supremacy